Thursday, June 11, 2009

Email From My Dad: On Cancer Treatment

Hi Dave:

I have written to you about your Mom.

About you then...

Your comments and hard positions relative to your health do not surprise, but they do sadden me. You are right to say on some things we will never agree. I don't like cirrhosis, but you address cancer, so let's talk about cander with cirrhosis hidden in our back pocket.

Let me quote a poem I read recently, written by a person 13 years after her first diagnosis of breast cancer, and following recurrence:

Oh, you evil thing!
How dare you!
You invade my body
But not my soul.

You may claim my breast
but not my spirit.

You lurk in unknown places
Waiting to spring
Waiting to grow.I will fight you
To my last breath
You may try to rape me of
my life.

But I will fight you
You will try to overcome me
But I know what you are?

You are cancer
And you will not win!

Thirteen years later, I am still winning and still smiling. There is life after cancer.

Pat Gallant
Miscouche, PEI

In a separate article she writes: I have cancer, it does not have me.

It came, I dealt with it. It came knocking once more. I dealt with it once more.

Cancer that dreaded word. I learned all I could about it. It is not an instant death sentence. But it can be, if not caught in time. I talked about it to anyone who would listen, but I did not worry about it. I live my life knowing it is always lurking in the shadows waiting to pounce. "Surpise, I am back!"

My perspective on life has changed. The cliches "Don't sweat the small stuff. One day at a time. Don't count the days...make the days count." These are what I live by.

I realized I wanted to do something for others so I began volunteering at our local ospital. I feel that in some small way I am contribvuting to the lives of others who are also dealing or living with this disease. I've learnedit arrives in your life, turns it upside down, then quietly lurks in your mind forever. Bit it did't take over my life. I wouldn't let it. It has changed me physcially but made me stronger emotionally.

Some worry constantly; some forget about it, and move on. I tend to keep alert, do my check-ups and will deal when and if it comes back again. Life is too precious to waste on waiting and fearing the other shoe will dropl

Live, love, laugh and appreciate those you love and htose who supported you in those times of need.

.........................................

Your Mom has a differing view to such things than I do David. She tends to think "What will be will be," and some days that seems like good thinking. But on most days it makes me furious, and sick to my stomach. Life is precious. You are dead a long long time. One fights for every moment or should. Determination and grit - are they the same?...a will to face it down and do what has to be done...comply with the changes and do them religiously all the rest of your life. It can make a difference against all the odds - , any doctor will tell you how important the will to live can be in a life and death struggle. produce in the face of long odds.

Cancer treatment (as are many other treatments for other diseases)have evolved to a point where the surviving numbers are very different than once they were, especially with early detection.

A close extended family member said he would never face radiation or chemo...never he roared..but he changed his mind with the chips down...unfortunately he left it late in the day ..and now one wonders.

Dad